Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Water


Just last night I was watching 'myth busters' with my son, and the myth they were trying to bust was 'walking on water' -well, running actually. Apparently, there was 'you-tube' footage of a some people doing it. The 'myth-busters' tried, but concluded it can't be done. They also concluded that the 'you-tube water runners' must have had something just submerged under the water that they ran on. The footage certainly looked like that, because they all fell in to the water after running a certain distance. It is unteresting, though, that Jesus' 'sign' still gathers attention.

At 'connecT' we have been looking at the signs in John, including the one where Jesus walks - not runs - on water. (Jn: 6: 16 - 25). I personally have long given up - never really held these views in the first place, I must admit - thinking that Jesus was walking on a sandbank, had ancient water skis, special shoes, flippers, carried by fish, the apostles had a collective fear induced vision, ate magic mushrooms, whatever, whatever...They sound as unbelievable as walking on water to me. No, I am happy to take the sign at face value.

Also, I don't expect to walk on water any time soon, but I do know that during times of rough seas Jesus comes to me and I sense a calm. Sometimes Jesus comes to me in worship and prayer; other times, and quite often, through other people. Looking at water itself, especially the sea, reminds of Jesus' calming presence and the amazingness of God's creation. Signs all pointing to the reign of God in our midst. What signs work for you, I wonder?

Chris

No comments: